Ingredients – for 4
- 400gms minced lamb (I used a mix of pork and beef)
- 1 onion, finely grated – fine mince or grating helps the meatballs hold together
- 4 tablespoons white breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- plenty of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 400gms chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- For the meatballs:
- For the tomato sauce:
Put the meatball ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and knead with your hands until combined. Roll walnut sized mixture into balls and chill in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
Meanwhile make the tomato sauce: heat the oil, add the onion and cook over low heat until softened and lightly colored; stir in the garlic and cook for one minute; add herbs and chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and vegetable stock. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, add a pinch of sugar and season.
Add the meatballs to the sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 mins until the sauce has thickened and the meatballs cooked. Remove the thyme and bay and stir in the parsley.