Ingredients for 4 as a main course – Fresh India
- cooking oil
- 500gms hard paneer cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400gms ripe plum tomatoes chopped (one tin)
- 1.25 teaspoons salt
- 0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli poweder
- 0.5 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 200gms green beans topped and tailed (and cut in half or thirds?)
- 200gms mangetout
- 200gms peas fresh or defrosted
- optional 1 red chilli finely sliced, mainly to add colour
Put a few tablespoons of oil in the frying pan over medium heat. When hot add the paneer and fry for about 4 mins until golden and crisp turning every minute or so. Transfer to a hot plate.
Add a little more oil to the pan, then add the garlic and stir fry a little, then add the tomatoes and cook for around 6 mins until the water comes off and the tomatoes become jammy; add salt, pepper, cumin, chilli, turmeric, stir some more and take off heat.
Boil the beans in salted water; add the mangetout and then the peas – i.e. basic idea is to get all done to the same stage before adding to the tomato and paneer. When done let dry off in their own steam (actually I cooled down and did before).
Reheat the sauce, add the paneer, add the vegetables and sprinkle over sliced red chilli. Serve with chippatis or plain yoghurt.