Ingredients – serves 4 as a main course – Fresh India
- cooking oil, rapeseed
- 0.5 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 large onions diced
- 5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2cm ginger peeled and grated
- 1 400gm tin of plum tomatoes
- 2 400g tins of chickpeas drained
- 1.5 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 0.5 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500gms of baby spinich washed (I just chopped normal spinach)
Heat the oil over medium heat, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and stir for a minute or so until they pop (they actually did), then add the onions.
Fry the onions 20-12 minutes until they become translucent and start to caramelize, then add the garlic and ginger; stir fry for around 3 mins and then add the tinned tomatoes plus about a third of a can of water.
Cook for ten minutes or so to drive off the water until dry and paste like and then add the chickpeas and warm through; add the spinach and cook for another five mins until the spinach is soft and serve with rise or chapattis and yoghurt.