Ingredients for 4 to 6 servings
- 200-225gms chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot or onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 30 gms butter
- 0.25 teaspoon garlic, chopped very fine
- 3 tablespoons (?) diced pancetta or prosciutto
- 4-5 whole sage leaves
- 100-125gms ground beef
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste dissolved in 60ml dry white vermouth
- 500gms homemade pasta
- parmesan cheese for grating
Rinse the chicken livers in cold water, remove any fat or greenish spots, cut each liver into 3-4 pieces and dry thoroughly on a paper towel.
Cook and stir the shallot or onion until it is translucent; add the chopped garlic and cook briefly before it becomes colored; add the diced pancetta and sage. Stir well cooking the pancetta for about a minute or so, then add the ground beef, a large pinch of salt and some pepper. Crumble the meat and cook until it has lost its raw, red color.
Add the chicken livers, turn the heat to medium high and stir thoroughly and cook just briefly until the livers have lost their raw, red color.
Add the tomato paste and vermouth mixture and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring from time to time. Taste and correct for salt.
Turn out the contents over drained pasta, toss well to coat and serve at once with grated parmesan cheese.