Ingredients – serves 8
From The Food of Italy location 1277.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- sprig of rosemary
- 1,500 gms beef topside in a piece of rolled silverside
- 600ml Barolo or similar heavy red wine
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
Heat the oil and soften the celery, carrots, garlic and onion; add the rosemary and the meat and brown lightly all over; cover and simmer for 2.5 hours or until tender.
Lift out the meat and keep warm; remove the rosemary and blend the vegetables into a smooth cream; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg; reheat, slice the meat and pour over the sauce.