For 4 servings, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking loc 7422
- 1.5-2kg chicken (I used legs plus breast)
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried leaves
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- salt and pepper
- 0.5 cup of dry white wine
- 2tbsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
- lemon peel in thin julienne strips with none of the white pith
Put butter and olive oil in medium high pan and heat until it foams and subsides, add chicken skin side down and brown on both sides, then add rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, cook for 2-3 mins turning; remove chicken breast and set aside.
Add the wine (interestingly, after removing chicken breast), bubble and simmer for 20 seconds, lower heat to cook at very slow simmer covered with lid slightly ajar; add water if it reduces too much.
After 40 mins return the chicken breasts (never seems to take so long for me); cook for 10 mins more until done.
Take out the chicken, spoon off as much as possible of the fat, add the lemon juice and lemon peel, deglaze and reduce over medium low heat; pour over chicken and serve.