From Indian Classic Cooking page 257 – for 6 persons
- 2 medium aubergines – e.g. 1kg (medium?!)
- 90gms shelled peas
- 9tbsps vegetable oil
- 1tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1tbsp grated fresh ginger root
- 250gms finely chopped onion (quite a lot)
- 500g fresh chopped tomatoes or 1 tin can
- 2 green chilli peppers
- 2tsps salt
- 2-3tbsps finely chopped coriander
Ideally grill the aubergines over a naked flame or over charcoal. More realistically, bake in the oven until totally collapsed. Peel, squeeze as dry as possible; chop as finely as possible; whisk with a fork for a while.
Heat the oil over medium high heat, then add the garlic and ginger and stir for 1 min or so; add onions and fry until a light golden (but not brown) stirring constantly – about 8 mins; reduce heat and then add the aubergine and cook for another 8 mins or so.
Add tomatoes and chilli peppers and cook until water evaporated and oil appears; add the peas and heat through; turn off the heat and then stir in the salt; just before serving add the coriander leaves.