Serves six to 8
- 700gms eggplant cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 3 medium onions cut into wedges
- 2 large red or yellow peppers seeded and cut into chunks
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 700gms tomato
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- a good pinch of hot chilli flakes or powder
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- 8 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
Line a large baking dish with foil and brush the foil with olive oil. Put in the aubergines, onions, peppers; season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on about 6 tablespoons olive oil. Turn the vegetables over so they are well greased. Cover with another sheet of foil and bake at 180C for about 1.5 hours until the vegetables have softened.
Uncover, increase the heat to 240C and continue to roast for about 20 mins or until the vegetables begin to brown and caramelise.
Prepare a tomato sauce: cut the tomatoes unpeeled into quarters (remove the hard white bits at the stem end) and blend to a cream in the food processor. In a large pan fry the garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil until the aroma rises, add the blended tomatoes, salt, sugar, ginger and chilli powder and simmer for 15 mins or until the sauce thickens. Add the basil and parsley and serve hot or cold with the hot or cold vegetables.