For four to six servings. Frankly the soup with the celery, spinach and carrot etc is quite a bit more interesting. Try not to put in too much rosemary or it end up tasting of not much else.
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/3 cup of olive oil – a lot!
- 1.5 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves crushed fine to a powder or small sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup canned Italian plum tomatoes cut up with juice – I just used a whole can
- 2.25 cups canned chick peas drained – I just used a whole can again
- Meat broth or bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup of water
- salt and pepper
Saute the garlic cloves in the oil in the same saucepan you will use for the other ingredients. Remove the garlic when it has gone nut brown. Add the crushed rosemary leaves or fresh sprig, stir, then put in the tomatoes with juice and cook for 20-25 mins until the oil floats out (as most of the water driven off). Add the chickpeas and cook for 5mins to heat through. Add the broth or cube, cover and bubble moderately for 15 mins. Check soup and add salt and pepper as needed.