The chicken is served hot or cold accompanied by a cold green or cold red sauce. Expectation is that a whole chicken is used but will try with chicken thighs and removing the skin first off. Below sauce is for 6-8.
Ingredients and method – chicken
- Salt and pepper
Put the chicken in the pot with the other ingredients, bring to boil, simmer gently for 1-1.5 hours or until very tender. Cut into pieces and cover with broth (if you are going to have cold?)
Ingredients and method – green sauce
- large bunch of flat leaf parsley – 350gms with stems
- 25gms basil leaves (optional)
- 50gms anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3-4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tomatoes peeled and cut into pieces
- chilli flakes or chilli powder
Remove the stems from the parsley. Process everything except the oil in the blender, then slowly thicken with a think stream to make a smooth green sauce. If too thick, dilute with a little more oil.
Variations: Use juice of one lemon instead of vinegar; add a teaspoon of mustard; miss out the breadcrumbs to make thinner.
Ingredients and method – red sauce
Fry onion and pepper in olive oil until very soft but not browned; add tomatoes, salt and chilli flakes or powder; simmer for 20 mins or until reduced to a thick sauce; let cool.