Very simple vegetarian recipe from BBC good food, probably fine to make for family dinner for coconut and bean soup. Not sure how many are served but decent quantities.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ bunch spring onions, whites and greens separated and sliced – maybe shallot is OK as well
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli, deseeded and pounded to a paste
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 410g can kidney bean, rinsed and drained
- 410g can pinto bean, rinsed and drained
- 410g can black-eyed bean, rinsed and drained
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk
- juice 2 limes
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Sizzle the spring onion whites, pepper, chilli paste and garlic for 5-8 mins until soft and fragrant. Add the thyme, curry powder and spices, then cook for 1 min more, Stir in the tomatoes, then cook for 2 mins to soften slightly.
Crumble in the stock cube, then tip in all the beans and the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and stir in most of the spring onion greens, the lime juice and some seasoning. Ladle into bowls and scatter with remaining spring onions just before serving.