For four servings. Will try with canned black eyed peas the first time for lunch.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (half an onion?)
- olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of chopped garlic – (not very much?)
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup canned imported tomatoes (fresh also OK peeled)
- 1 pound mild pork sausages with no extra herbs/spices
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas soaked at least an hour
- salt and pepper
Cook the chopped onion in a heavy pan in the olive oil until light gold, then add the garlic until pale blonde. then add the carrot and celery and stir to coat well and cook for 5 mins.
Add the chopped tomatoes and stir, cook for 20 mins in a steady simmer until water is driven away and the oil is apparent.
Add the sausages to the pot, puncturing with a fork to release the fat and cook at a steady simmer for 15 mins turning occasionally.
Drain the peas and add to the pot with water to cover and cook for about 1.5 hours until soft. Check water level and add if needed, boil away at the end if too much. For canned ones, add at the same time as the sausage more or less.
Add salt and pepper to taste, stir thoroughly and serve at once.
Note this can be done days in advance, in which case don’t heat to reduce until the time you will serve.