There is a recipe for this in the Edible Atlas page 312 but below is the NYT version for roasting. This is for six servings. Habanero are available from National Azabu.
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, halved, stems removed
- 6 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, optional
- Juice of 2 large limes (about 4 tablespoons)
- 6 large chicken legs, leg and thigh attached
Put allspice, thyme, garlic, chiles, scallions, peppercorns, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, soy sauce and lime juice in a blender or food processor and grind to a rough paste.
Put chicken in a baking dish, add seasoning paste and coat chicken well, using a spoon. Cover and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
Heat oven to 350 degrees and bring chicken to room temperature. Turn chicken once more in marinade to coat well, then put baking dish in the oven, uncovered. Bake for 1 hour or until well browned and juices run clear when probed with a paring knife.
Put dish under the broiler for a minute or so to char chicken slightly. Remove and serve with coconut rice, if desired.