Serves 4 – from Edible Atlas page 314. To go with jerk chicken.
- 1-2 tbsps of vegetable oil
- 1 white or yellow onion finely chopped
- 300g long grain or basmati rice
- 400ml coconut milk (one tin)
- 400ml water
- 400gms kidney beans
- salt, pepper
- thyme leaves
- iceberg lettuce to serve, shredded(?)
- fresh coriander to serve – that’s more like it
Saute the onion until translucent; add the rice and mix it in with the oil and onion then add the coconut milk and the water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat.
Add the kidney beans, salt, pepper and thyme and then simmer, stirring occasionally for as long as it takes for the rice to cook and the liquid to be absorbed. Let it dry out again to become granular(?) and not sludgy – 15-20mins.
Scoop the rice and beans into a platter in a well with the shredded lettuce and then put on the rice and beans and then the jerk chicken. Add the coriander on top.