serves 6 – looks like an american sized 6. From Saveur 1000 recipes.
- 450gms boneless beef chuck cut into 4cm pieces
- 450gms boneless pork shoulder cut into 4cm pieces
- 450gms boneless lamb shoulder trimmed and cut into 4cm pieces
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 0.25 cups fresh flat leaf parsley leaves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons juniper berries
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 2 small leeks trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 0.25 cup rendered duck or goose fat or butter
- 1,350gms yukon gold potatoes peeled and sliced
- 450gms thick cut bacon
- 1 cup flour, plus more for dusting
Place beef, pork and lamb in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add wine, parsley, juniper berries, garlic, bay leaf, onion, leeks and thyme; mix together and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days.
Heat over to 175C, rub dutch oven with fat. Layer potatoes, marinated meat and vegetables in the pot, seasoning between each layer with salt and pepper and ending with a layer of potatoes. Pour in remaining marinade and arrange the bacon, overlapping the slices slightly, over the top.
Mix flour with 5 tablespoons of water in a bowl, transfer to floured surface and knead briefly into a dough. Roll dough into a rope and transfer to rim o pot; press to adhere and cover with lid. Bake for 3.5 hours. Using a paring knife break the seal, discard the rope and lift lid to serve.