Serves 4 as a cold dish; can be a starter, a main or s side dish to accompany cold meats. Also can be spread on crostini. Variations include adding 3 or 4 anchovy fillets or possibly capers.
- 4 large fleshy red or yellow peppers or a mixture of the two
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion cut in half and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or marjoram
- 3-4 tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 black olives (optional)
Roast, peel and de-seed the peppers in the usual manner and cut into long strips. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and cook covered over low heat stirring occasionally for about 15 mins until they are very soft and beginning to color. Put in the garlic and stir for about five minutes, then add the peppers. Season with salt and pepper and add the marjoram.
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar, sprinkle over the peppers and mix well. Cook for another 15-20 mins.
Great to help use up marjoram!!