Serves four – great, stylish salad perfect for the summer. Brilliant.
- 2 small fennel bulbs trimmed at the base and sliced thinly
- juice and freshly grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 ripe nectarines or peaches halved, cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp of chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 tbsp of chopped mint leaves
- 1 slice of cured ham – e.g. serrano etc 5mm to 1 cm think to allow dicing
In a shallow bowl toss the fennel with the lemon juice and zest, oil and a little salt. Add the peaches or nectarines, sprinkle over half the herbs and season with pepper. Toss lightly.
Arrange on a serving platter. Scatter over the ham and the remaining herbs. Serve immediately.
Variations: (1) replaced the ham with lightly toasted pine nuts; and (2) replace the peaches with 225g of seedless watermelon in cubes plus two heaped teaspoons of feta or goats cheese.