Serves 4 – I used chicken thighs rather than a whole chicken cut up. Note there is probably a greek version of this as well!
- 1 chicken about 700-1,200gms
- 700gm okra – I probably did not use nearly enough
- 1/2 cup wine vinegar – sounds a lot>
- salt, pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes peeled and sliced
- 3 tender long green peppers or 2 other semi hot peppers, tops and seeds removed – I did without
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 small twigs thyme
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Make a stock with chicken back and neck – put in with 2 cups of water and peppercorns and simmer 45mins; strain.
>Pare around the conical tops of the okra; place in a bowl with the vinegar and sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, heat the butter and cook the onions until limp then remove from pan and saute the chicken until golden on all sides.
Add the cooked onions, okra, tomatoes and green pepper, salt pepper and chilli flakes plus herbs and reserved stock and lemon juice; cover and simmer for 45 mins or until okra is tender. Adjust seasoning and serve.