- 500g eggplant
- sea salt, pepper
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2-3 bay leaves crushed
- 1 large tomato blanched peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp snipped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp snipped coriander, basil or mint
- freshly grated zest of half an unwaxed lemon
Place the aubergines in a large bowl, cover with some cold water, add 1-2 tablespoons of salt and stir to dissolve. Leave for one hour, then drain, rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper
Heat 1-2 tablespoons of the oil with in a heavy saucepan over a low heat. Add the eggplant, onion, garlic and bay leaves then season to taste and stir well to mix. Cover and cook on a low heat, stirring frequently for 30-40 minutes until the eggplant is just cooked but still retain their shape.
Remove the bay leaves, stir in the tomato, parsley and the remaining oil. Cook, stirring for ten minutes until the tomato has wilted.
Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander and lemon zest.