- 250 ML of olive oil
- 1 kg boneless pork shoulder cut into serving pieces
- Four onions, coarsely chopped
- three garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- Six allspice berries
- Two bay leaves
- Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 kg of red bell peppers halved and seeded
Heat the oil in a wide, shallow pan. Add the meat and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned. Add the onions, garlic, vinegar, tomatoes, allspice berries, bat leafs, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about one hour or until the meat is tender.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a skillet or frying pan, add the peppers and cook over low heat, turning occasionally for eight minutes or until softened.
Remove from the frying pan and drain on paper towels. When they are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and put the flesh into the pan, around and between the pieces of meat. Do not stir. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced.