- 300 grams of chickpeas
- 450 millilitres of vegetable stock
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 and a half kilograms of chicken cut into pieces
- 1 large onion grated
- 1 small leek white part only finely chopped
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 1 centimetre squares
- 1 yellow pepper seeded and cut into squares
- 400 grams of canned tomatoes
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- half a teaspoon of dried oreg
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- salt and pepper
Put the chickpeas into a bowl, pour in water to cover, stir in 1 tablespoon of salt, and let soak overnight.
Drain and rinse the beans and put them into a pan. Add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes then remove from heat.
Meanwhile heat the oil in a large pan add the chicken and cook over medium heat turning frequently until golden brown all over.
Add the onion, leek, carrot, garlic, and bell peppers and cook stirring frequently 45 minutes until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, sugar, oregano, and parsley and chilli flakes. Add the chickpeas together with their cooking liquid and adjust the salt and pepper if necessary. Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes until the chicken and beans are tender. Serve hot sprinkled with basil parsley.