For 6 servings
- 1 pound fresh, young green beans
- 3 or 4 medium carrots
- Salt ¼ pound mortadella OR boiled unsmoked ham, diced into ¼-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
1. Trim, soak, boil, and drain the green beans. They will undergo more cooking later in the pan, so drain them when quite firm.
2. Peel the carrots, wash them in cold water, and cut them into sticks slightly thinner than the beans.
3. Choose a saute pan that can accommodate all the ingredients without crowding them. Put in the beansm, the carrots, salt, the diced mortadella or ham, and the butter. Turn on the heat to medium and cook, turning the beans and carrots over frequently to coat them well. When the butter begins to foam, cover the pan. Cook until the carrots are just tender, checking after 5 to 6 minutes, and turning them and the beans from time to time. Taste and correct for salt and serve promptly.