- ¾ cup medium or coarse bulgur
- 2½ cups cooked chick peas
- 1 bunch scallions, white and most of the green parts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- (optional) ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1. Place the bulgur in a bowl, toss with ½ teaspoon salt, and pour on hot water to cover by an inch. Let sit for 20 minutes, then drain through a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Press the bulgur against the sieve to release water.
2. Toss the bulgur with the chick peas, scallions, mint, parsley, cinnamon, tomatoes, lemon juice, oil, and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust salt.
Cover and allow to stand for about 30 minutes before serving, so that the flavors will emerge. Toss again and serve in a bowl or on a platter, surrounded by the lettuce leaves.
ADVANCE PREPARATION: You can make this several hours before serving. The reconstituted bulgur and the cooked chick peas will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator.