Another very simply but also spectacularly good and healthy salad.
Basic idea is mix together some chickpeas, fresh parsley, raw red and green bell peppers (other colors OK of course and maybe a little more sweet), medium tomatoes with all the pieces chopped up to about the same size as the chickpeas. Then dress the salad with a dressing with red wine vinegar, lots of lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper.
For four to six, but sounds a bit much even for a dedicated chick pea fan.
- 1 500g of chickpeas (dry?!)
- half a cup of parsley
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper – colour contrast is probably good but I used one large pepper in the end
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar – seemed to go well despite one expecting white wine vinegar
- 1-3 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Mix all together! Salad can be made quite a bit in advance as well. From location 3331 Mediterranean Harvest.
Dish was certainly better with freshly cooked chickpeas rather than canned ones, but this was also really simple despite using chickpeas that had been hanging around for a fair old while. Simply soak in advance for a decent amount of time or overnight, then boil and strain! Tasted fine.
I would tend to use more parsley, tomatoes and only one pepper at the end of the day