This went quite wrong the first time I tried it, mainly through stupidly adding too much salt. However it looks well worth another try. Soaking the lentils isn’t necessary but may make things go a little smoother. The dried mint flavour was surprisingly strong.
- 3/4 cup lentils, soak in water overnight, rinsed
- 4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp crushed tomatoes, in can
- 1 tsp red pepper paste
- 2 cups warm chicken stock or beef stock or just water
- 2 medium sized zucchinis, dicedGarlic-Mint Sauce:
- 1-2 garlic cloves, mashed with salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dry mint
Saute the onion with olive oil in a medium size pot. Then add the rest of the ingredients except zucchini. Cook for about 20-25 minutes at medium-low heat until the lentils are soften, stir occasionally. Add the zucchinis and cook for about 7-8 more minutes, until they are softened, try to retain a slight crunch:)
Meanwhile mix mashed garlic with lemon juice and mint. Add into the pot, stir and cover. Let stand for about 2-3 minutes and serve.
My first failure. Added too much salt and also too much tomato, overdoing the flavour. Also probably included too much mint and lemon for the amount made. Concept seems sound though, so worth another try.